Dr. Keith S Berman, MD
Many patients come to see Dr. Berman about improving their appearance with liposuction. Liposuction is a technique in which the surgeon can reduce the excess fat beneath the skin and create and slender and more youthful appearance to many parts of the body. Small incisions in the skin are made and a special fluid called tumescent fluid, that contains anesthetic and medications to reduce bleeding is injected under the skin in the areas of the fat to be removed. The fat is then removed using tunneling instruments called cannulas connected to a suction device.
Here is what you need to know:
1. There are many devices available to break up the fat including lasers, ultrasound, and vibrating cannulas, but the single most important determinant of a good outcome is THE SKILL OF THE SURGEON.
2. All patients are intially LEAKY for 2-3 days after liposuction to allow for the excess fluid exit the skin. Then patients will be LUMPY for several weeks as the healing process proceeds. Finally, after about 6-8 weeks, the skin will adapt to its new underlying shape. FINAL RESULTS from liposuction may take 6 months or longer to complete, as the healing process is gradual.
3. Liposuction alone CANNOT tighten loose skin. The ability of the skin to "recoil" and flatten after liposuction depends largely on the quality of the skin: the presence and amount of stretch marks indicates permanent damage to the skin's elastic integrity and can only be corrective by skin excision procedures (like tummy tucks).
4. Avoiding substances such as caffeine and diet pills that raise your heart rate and blood pressure for at least 1 week prior to surgery makes the procedure safer and leads to quicker recovery.
5. Minimize bleeding by: avoiding pain killers (other than Tylenol®), green tea, baby aspirin, herbal products and mega-dose vitamins for at least 1 week prior to surgery. Remember that Excedrin® contains aspirin and should be avoided.
6. Wearing the post-operative compression garments is very important to get the best possible contour after liposuction. Also, excercising liposuctioned areas should be delayed for around 8-10 weeks to allow the skin to adhere property to the underlying tissues.
Dr. Berman will happy to discuss these new and exciting treatments to help you look your best!
Call us today at 718-351-0654
Double click to edit
The 3Ls of Liposuction: Leaky, Lumpy and then..Looking Good!
Schedule an Appointment: